
I am not sure why I went on the cutthroat tangent when we are in the beginning of the steelhead season with record numbers of fish coming over Wells Dam. Everyone gets pretty excited about the chance to catch these big strong sea run rainbows. And they are strong. Landing one on a fly rod is very exciting and quite an accomplishment. They seem eager to eat almost anything. One fish I had on took a size #16 parachute Adams. It went straight to the bottom and stayed there. When I put pressure on it bo-ing went the line. It didn't break, rather the hook straightened out. Too small a hook for too heavy of a fish. Anyway whether you use dry flies, egg flies, wooly buggers, nymphs, or maribou jigs there is a good chance you will catch a steelhead, or are least get a strike.

No comments:
Post a Comment